Home Fires- Oklahoma City Home Inspection

The Top Reasons For Home Fires And What To Do Afterwards

The Risks Of Home Fires And The Aftermath

In the past we have talked about the dangers of ignoring fire and smoke damage, but our Oklahoma City Home Inspection team thought it may be wise to share with you how a lot of home fires get started in the first place so that maybe you can avoid the situation of having to deal with clean-up. Of course, if something should happen to your home we also want you to be prepared and know what to do!

First, let’s review the top 10 reasons for home fires:

  • Unattended cooking – Being distracted while cooking is a common occurrence. Always have someone watch food that is cooking as pots and pans easily overheat.
  • Space heaters- With fall and winter coming this one was worth mentioning. If you are going to have a space heater keep it about 3 1/2 feet away from anything easily flammable such as furniture, curtains, clothing, and even the person using it.
  • Cigarettes- A cigarette that isn’t put out properly can stay lit and burst into flames if it accidentally comes into contact with furniture or other flammable materials.
  • Electrical problems- Do not ever ignore appliances that are on the fritz, especially if the cord is torn for any reason. Extension cords are also a hazard is not used properly. Faulty wiring is also highly dangerous. Look for things like flickering lights and blown fuses. If you have to disconnect one appliance to make another work this is not a good sign!
  • Candles- Keep candles away from books, tissues, paper, etc. Never leave a room unattended with a candle still burning.

To make sure you, your family, and anyone who enters your home is safe please follow all safety guidelines provided with purchased appliances and take necessary precautions.

Even if you are careful there is always a chance for an accident to occur. If your home should catch on fire, by all means focus on getting the fire department out there to put out the flames. Then, you’ll need to begin a clean-up process quite quickly. Any areas where the fire was put out with water will need to be cleaned as soon as possible to avoid long-lasting smoke damage and mold growth.

Needless to say, the damage from the fire alone can be tricky to maneuver around which is why our Oklahoma City Home Inspection team would highly recommend hiring professional help in the event of a fire. If you need a good restoration team, our top choice would be:

Company Name: Phoenix Restoration
Contact Name: Jada
Phone: 405-844-7700

Fire-smoke-mold

The Dangers Of Ignoring Fire, Smoke And Mold Damage

Fire, Smoke, And Mold Restoration

There are small problems homeowners have to deal with such as replacing appliances, but then there are enormous responsibilities like restoring damage to a home after a tragic fire or after the growth of mold.It should go without saying that ignoring the damage caused by fire, smoke and mold can be very dangerous, but just to make it crystal clear we’re going to list a few reasons why you shouldn’t drag your feet on restoring your home.

Fire and smoke damage:

Any areas where a fire was put out using water will need to be cleaned as soon as possible to avoid mold growth which can begin in as little as 48 hours.

After a fire, it should be obvious that the overall structure of a home is in danger, but the smoke damage itself is also something to consider. Other than discoloration of household objects, smoke can get into your ducts and vents.

The following are health risks caused from breathing in smoke:

  • Breathing difficulties
  • Scarring in the lungs
  • Scratchy throat
  • Irritated sinuses
  • Headaches
  • Stinging Eyes
  • Runny Nose
  • Opportunistic infections in individuals with compromised immune systems

Mold damage:

Removing affected material and eliminating moisture sources is the only way to recreate a healthy environment.

If putting out a fire wasn’t the cause of mold, it’s due to another source of moisture. It’s important to know that mold grows quickly in dark, damp places such as basements, attics, and crawl spaces.

Mold is dangerous as it can cause potential structural damage and serious health risks including the following list:

  • Headaches
  • Breathing difficulties
  • Persistent cough or cold symptoms
  • Burning or irritation of the eyes, nose, throat or lungs
  • Asthma attacks
  • Hypersensitivity pneumonitis
  • Skin irritation
  • Allergic reactions
  • Opportunistic infections in individuals with compromised immune systems

Fire, smoke and mold damage restoration is best left to professionals. My top choice for a recommended restoration team is:

Company Name: Phoenix Restoration
Contact Name: Jada
Phone: 405-844-7700