Home Fires- Oklahoma City Home Inspection

The Top Reasons For Home Fires And What To Do Afterwards

The Risks Of Home Fires And The Aftermath

In the past we have talked about the dangers of ignoring fire and smoke damage, but our Oklahoma City Home Inspection team thought it may be wise to share with you how a lot of home fires get started in the first place so that maybe you can avoid the situation of having to deal with clean-up. Of course, if something should happen to your home we also want you to be prepared and know what to do!

First, let’s review the top 10 reasons for home fires:

  • Unattended cooking – Being distracted while cooking is a common occurrence. Always have someone watch food that is cooking as pots and pans easily overheat.
  • Space heaters- With fall and winter coming this one was worth mentioning. If you are going to have a space heater keep it about 3 1/2 feet away from anything easily flammable such as furniture, curtains, clothing, and even the person using it.
  • Cigarettes- A cigarette that isn’t put out properly can stay lit and burst into flames if it accidentally comes into contact with furniture or other flammable materials.
  • Electrical problems- Do not ever ignore appliances that are on the fritz, especially if the cord is torn for any reason. Extension cords are also a hazard is not used properly. Faulty wiring is also highly dangerous. Look for things like flickering lights and blown fuses. If you have to disconnect one appliance to make another work this is not a good sign!
  • Candles- Keep candles away from books, tissues, paper, etc. Never leave a room unattended with a candle still burning.

To make sure you, your family, and anyone who enters your home is safe please follow all safety guidelines provided with purchased appliances and take necessary precautions.

Even if you are careful there is always a chance for an accident to occur. If your home should catch on fire, by all means focus on getting the fire department out there to put out the flames. Then, you’ll need to begin a clean-up process quite quickly. Any areas where the fire was put out with water will need to be cleaned as soon as possible to avoid long-lasting smoke damage and mold growth.

Needless to say, the damage from the fire alone can be tricky to maneuver around which is why our Oklahoma City Home Inspection team would highly recommend hiring professional help in the event of a fire. If you need a good restoration team, our top choice would be:

Company Name: Phoenix Restoration
Contact Name: Jada
Phone: 405-844-7700